The Cost of Infertilty  

Posted by Christy

I have met more and more couples falling out of the surrogacy world because of IVF costs. I was reading another IM's Blog yesterday and she reports that she has 130k+ and it isn't enough for international surrogacy. At first I thought "she is crazy" and then I sat down and added it all up.....YIKES!

When we first started this I felt really blessed to not be one of those people who does IVF cycle after IVF cycle on themselves before even moving onto surrogacy. I couldn't even imagine the costs of that! Then God taught me that was in fact in store for me as well. I have no uterus and yet we have had three IVF cycles and still no baby!

We have an upcoming RE consult and I should be excited but instead the stats and numbers and future costs are all running through my head. There is this nagging voice that says don't get too excited because you know what happened last year. I'm not a negative person but this is all stats and to pretend "oh of course every dream will come true" is just a bit naive to me. In reality, I could be sitting right where I am today and have spent and other 40k. I know we are in this for the long haul so how can "what if" it does not work, what if my eggs turn to dust? "What if's" can eat me up. I don't want to let my family down again. I don't even want my surros to get excited because I don't want them to have to experience the down sides because of us.

This is my little tiny melt down, stomping my feet asking God to just give me a sign already! If he would just give the date and time I would chill out and go along for the ride......really is that too much to ask? Tell me this works or if we have more disappointments. I can deal with it but I just want to know. I want to be able to prepare the team for the bumps. Come on God...a sign...PLEASE

This entry was posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 at 8:11 PM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

8 comments

I'm not sure where in the country you are located, but Shady Grove Fertility Center in the Northeast US has a Shared Risk program. My IPs are participating in that, and for one lump sum you get 6 tries at IVF with or without a gestational carrier. If you dont take a baby home at the end of the six tries you get a full refund. I dont know of any other centers offering that kind of deal so I thought I would let you know. :)

Good luck!

September 14, 2008 at 7:06 AM

thanks!

September 15, 2008 at 8:42 AM
Anonymous  

I have heard of having three tries with shared risk. 6 seems like the best deal I've heard of.

September 15, 2008 at 3:17 PM
Anonymous  

Oooh a South Africa viewer, that's ME ;) LOL. I'm a wannabe gestational surrogate (still chatting to my hubby to see how comfortable he is with the whole thing!) so doing all the research I can in the interim, which is how I stumbled upon your blog :)

The costs are insane, really hope things get moving for you soon so that you can 'relax' into motherhood!!!

x
Yvonne

September 16, 2008 at 11:21 AM

I know how you feel. We just had our first donor sperm cycle (IUI)fail. It's scary to think that our hopes of a family rest on how much money we have or how much debt we want to create.

Like you, if God would just tell me the when and how I could chill out and be ok with waiting. It's the waiting and not knowing while the bills stack up that makes it so hard.

September 21, 2008 at 12:39 PM

ps. Here from ICLW

September 21, 2008 at 12:40 PM

Here from ILCW and sending my best to you and your family. I hope you get the sign you are looking for soon.

September 22, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Here from ICLW -

Wow - and I thought my assisted cycles (non-ivf) could get pricey; I had no idea.

I always wanted a date too - I knew I could always just tell myself it was xx days away and motivate myself to keep going that way. I don't deal well with ambiguity.

Good wishes!

September 24, 2008 at 7:53 PM

Post a Comment